visit my website www.robynrittersimon.com

visit my website www.robynrittersimon.com

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Day 141: Hooray, I Finished My First Half Marathon!


I did it! I finished my first Half Marathon (13.1 miles)! I didn't get injured, didn't have a heart attack or other medical issue, didn't throw up and ran the heck out of that course! I completed the race in 3 hours, 1 minute which isn't too shabby considering I'm 49 years old and only took up running 6 months ago!

Thanks to my very supportive Hubby Brian for being at the finish line to capture this photo of me!

Wow! I can still remember huffing and puffing as I tried to make it one time around Rancho Park, which is only 2.2 miles. I was breathing so heavy that I truly thought I had a heart condition... I did not have the confidence that my heart would expand enough to allow me to run more. Now I can run around the park multiple times without even becoming winded. I mean can you imagine that! In 6 months I went from running Zero miles to running 13 miles in a half marathon.

No doubt this goal could not have been accomplished without my committed friend, running partner and athletic trainer Melody Roset. She pushed me and encouraged me that I could train my heart, my legs, my entire body for this race. And I did. Thank you my dear friend and awesome athlete Melody!

But these goals don't just happen, you gotta really want to make it across that finish line. I had a goal, I stayed focused, I trained hard and I competed hard. That's something to be proud of. Whatever we set our mind to do... whether it's a physical challenge such as running a marathon, or climbing a mountain, or strengthening our body, or finding a new more rewarding job, or bettering our personal relationships... no matter what your goal is, if you stay on the path toward that goal and you work hard, the benefits will pay off. I'm living proof of that!

And for all you naysayers who say, "I'm too old, I don't have the time, I'm busy" or whatever bullshit excuse you hold on to preventing you from getting fit... let me tell you.... there were 16,000 runners in this race. Did you hear me 16,000 people who trained and are committed enough to make a priority to get out there and run. They have jobs, they have children, they have ill parents they are caring for, they have it all, but 16,000 showed up. So stop making excuses and set your goals and go for it!

When you reach that goal it feels so good! Now I'm off to train for the full Marathon in March, oye vey how am I going to double what I ran today!? It's a little scary to think about that, but I will do exactly what I did to get to 13 miles ... one mile at a time...
thank you to all the friends and family that have been supporting me through this journey. All your messages, texts, and emails on race day made me so happy!

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you did this Robyn -- this is SO COOL!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Brava Robyn!

:-)

Diana

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your interest in my 49th year! I appreciate your support! -Robyn